So how to bend PVC pipe at home? Well, it is not that hard if you follow the expert’s guidance. But if you do it yourself without prior knowledge, you may break the pipe in half or melt it down completely, which you do not want.
Using these methods, you can bend your PVC pipe up to 90 degrees easily using some homemade heat. But know that you should be careful while doing it as these PVC pipes are made from plastic. And plastics are not good for the human body. You must have complete protection and a few tools before you begin.
Tools Required for Bending the PVC Pipe
PVC pipes produce harmful gases like carbon monoxide and chlorinated furans that can cause many skin and liver issues when heated. That is why you must arrange the below tools and start the bending process.
- Get safety glasses
- Wear a gas mask
- Heat-resistant hand gloves
- Bend the pipe in an open area
- Do not bend the PVC inside your house.
Do the bending slowly and keep the pipe a bit away when heating so that you do not heat the PVC to a level where it can catch fire or melt.
Table of Contents
How to Bend PVC Pipe Easily at Home
I will give four ideas on how to bend the PVC pipe at home. Use any of them, and your pipe will get soft and ready to bend without much effort. All you have to do is to apply heat to the predefined area, then apply pressure to the area using your hand, and it will bend.
1. Bend the PVC Pipe with Home Oven
It is one of the easiest ways to bend the PVC. But do not put the PVC pipe directly into the fire. Keep a safe distance and use the heat with a bit of pressure where you want to bend it. You can also use a lighter to do the same work. Here are the steps.
- First, ready your PVC pipe by cutting and cleaning it if needed.
- Mark the area where you want the bend.
- Then use the heat from the oven or a lighter to bend the pipe slowly.
- Do not apply fire directly, as it may damage the PVC pipe.
- Use your hand and apply some pressure to bend it as you want.
- And then use it for your plumbing work.
- Repeat the same process if you need to bend the pipe more.
It is the most common process. Most plumbers follow it when they bend a PVC pipe. Anyone can do it at home. You just need to be a bit careful while doing it.
2. Use Your Hair Dryer to Soften the Pipe
The second idea on how to bend PVC pipe at home is to use your Hair Dryer. Bending the pipe using a hair dryer is safer and much easier than the previous one. But it will take more time. Here is how to do it using the hair dryer.
- Again mark your bending point.
- Use a wrench or something that can hold the pipe without wobbling when you apply heat to it.
- Turn on your hair dryer and apply the heat slowly.
- Do not apply the heat to close. Do it a bit away from the pipe.
- Then pressure the PVC pipe to bend as you want, like before.
Yes, it is easier, but not as convenient as the lighter. I prefer the previous one as the fire bend is faster.
3. Use Boiling Water to Soften the PVC
You can also use boiling water to bend it. Just use the heat from the steam and bend the pipe. Here are your steps.
- Boil the water to a degree to create a good amount of steam.
- Use that steam like the fire, and apply it on the PVC where you want the bend.
- Then wait for a few minutes and repeat the process until you feel it’s time to apply the pressure.
- Then use your hand to press it slowly, and it will bend.
This boiling water process will take even more time than the hair dryer as the water will reach 100 degrees Celsius, then the steam will come out, and with that steam, it will take longer for the pipe to get soft. Yes, you can use it, but it is an inefficient process.
4. Use Heated Sand to Bend the Pipe
The last and most professional idea on how to bend PVC pipes is to use heated sand. It is not an average man’s work but is used widely by professionals.
The sand is heated to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit using a stove or direct wood fire to heat it up. They use that sand to slowly soften the pipe as sand can hold heat for a long time. Here is what you should do.
- Get some sand. You can buy it or can get it from the beach.
- Use your oven and heat it up to 300 – 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then apply the sand to the point where you want the bend.
- Wait for a minute, and the PVC will get soft.
- Then you can use pressure to bend it.
The temperature of the sand can vary according to your need. Use as you like. It is easy and very efficient, like the lighter.c
Bending PVC Pipe FAQs
How to soften pvc pipe?
Turn your home oven on and carefully give heat to the area where you want to soften the pipe. Then bend it as you like.
How to bend pvc pipe without heat?
Use sand and lay it in the place of the pipe where you want to bend. Wait a few minutes, and it will get soft after a few hours. But that sand needs good sunlight exposure before you use it. Technically you do need heat.
How to bend pvc pipe without sand?
You can bend the pipe using direct fire using a lighter or home oven to soften the pipe using heat and then bend it as you like.
So this is how to bend the PVC pipe at home easily. I recommend the oven or lighter idea to make things work faster. But the heated sand is also super efficient. Just use some proper tools and take some precautions. You can do it at home.
Follow Me on PINTEREST for More Ideas.