In this article, I will share all the parts of a sink that a homeowner must know. So that he can fix it within a few minutes without waiting for a plumber or a handyman to fix it.
Repairing a bathroom sink or kitchen sink can be a difficult task for you. But sinks are easy to fix if you know the details. These parts will give you a layout of your house sin for both the bathroom and kitchen. This layout is required to make basic maintenance at home.
Table of Contents
Parts of a Sink (Kitchen and Bathroom)
Let me tell you, every sink is different. What you have in the kitchen is totally different from what you have in the bathroom, built for different purposes. But still, many parts are the same in all models. Learning about them will help you repair any sink in your house.
Read also: How to remove sink stopper from the basin quickly
Here is a list of what you can expect as parts of a sink.
- Basin: It holds water as a whole from the faucet. It has a drain in the bottom that allows water to pass by. It’s a basic thing that everyone knows. But it has varieties for different uses. Some are made of steel, some of marble, and some of the glass.
- Drain: All sinks have a water drain to allow water to flow out of the sink basin. The drain is connected to your plumbing connection and is hidden within the walls (most of the time).
- Drain Tailpiece: It connects to the drain fitting and carries water away from the basin.
- Faucet: It is where the water goes out. A faucet has many parts depending on the kitchen or bathroom sink you use in your home.
- Controls: Controls are basics that allow you to turn on or off the water. It can come with unlimited varieties and in fancy items. You can choose as you like.
- Water Lines: It brings hot and cold water through separate water lines to the sink for use.
- Trap: A trap or P-Trap is a pipe under your sink that allows waste and water to pass. The P-bend prevents gasses from entering your house.
- Clean out: It is a pipe that allows you to clear clogs. It is located near the P-trap.
- Off valve: It is an oval-shaped handle. It is located near a sink to help you control the water flow. It’s also a common thing to notice.
These are the basic parts of a sink, but the items may vary in the product. Here are some extra sink parts that are found only in the Kitchen or bathroom sink. Have a look.
Parts of a Kitchen Sink with Diagram
Kitchen sinks have most of the above parts, but there are also some extra parts you should know about.
- Spray head: A spray head is a detachable part that you can use like an external pipe to wash your stuff from a distance. It shares the same water supply lines. If you have a good budget, you can go for this kind of sink which will cost you a few extras.
- Strainer: It helps filter dirt out of your water system. It is attached to your drain pipe.
- Garbage disposal: A garbage disposal helps carry food debris away from your sink, preventing any possible clogs.
- Stopper: It is built to collect food waste.
Look at your kitchen sink and match these up to understand them better.
Parts of a Bathroom Sink
The bathroom sink also has some extra parts. Have a look.
- Valve stops: valve is required to turn the water off to the sink without impacting other parts of your bathroom. The valve stops are connected to your water supply lines.
- Stoppers: It stops water flow in the drain and keeps the water in the basin. A heavy mechanism is used to raise and lower the stopper valve located in the drain part.
These two parts of a bathroom sink are common in most cases.
Parts of a Sink Drain
After knowing the outside parts, you should also know the inside part of a sink. Here are the parts of a sink drain that are common.
- P-trap: It is made up of two pipes. It removes clogs, waste, and water from your sink.
- Strainer Basket: It helps collect food debris.
- Nuts and Gaskets: This help creates a secure connection between your strainer flange and P-trap.
How to Fix the Sink Stopper Clogging Issue
If your sink is clogging often then it is best you get a new sink stopper that has the capacity to remove all those clog in the first place, like a universal sink stopper.
It is easy to install and will help you fight all those clogs in your sink. It is not like you will never have clogs in your sink. But it will help you avoid them as much as possible. Have a look.
So these are the parts of a sink that you must know as a homeowner to fix any sink-related problem anytime in your kitchen and bathroom. I hope this article will help you in fixing that sink. Thanks for reading. See you soon.
Sink Assembly Parts FAQs
What are the primary parts of a kitchen sink?
The main parts of a kitchen sink are a basin, faucet, sink stopper, P-trap, spray head, sink strainer, garbage disposal, drain tailpiece,and valves.
What are the parts of a bathroom sink?
The bathroom sink has a faucet, basin, valves, drain line, sink stopper, P- trap, and water stoppers.
What are the parts of a sink drain?
The parts of a sink drain are a P-trap, a strainer basket, nuts and bolts, and gaskets.
Follow Me on PINTEREST for More Ideas.