Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, As an Amazon Associate, we may earn a small commission if you buy through the link from our site at no additional cost to you as it really helps.
Here is how to get rid of chiggers and save yourself from those painful and itching bites that can last for a few days.
These small bugs normally come to your clothes through the area where clothing fits tightly against the skin, like your waistbands, socks, and undergarments.
And then they will bite making the area red then you will feel a burning sensation and itching. So to make yourself safe from them and remove them from your garden, follow the below steps.
How to Get Rid of Chiggers
Let me tell you chiggers are not insects but mites and some people call them red bugs and they are red in color. They inject enzymes when they bite that break down the skin cells causing irritation and itching.
Yes, you can use cold ice to smooth the area. The itching will not go away completely but will help you a bit.
Directly apply the ice and you will feel a bit relief. I will talk about this later, but first, we need to know how to get rid of chiggers.
Steps to Remove Chigger
These red mites live in tall grass, shrubs, and wooded areas.
- So the first step is not to go there while doing any outdoor activity.
- Do not walk through any dense vegetation that may get you bitten.
- But if you have to go, then cut those grasses and do it once a week so that those chiggers can not live there anymore.
- They eat plants. So by cutting the grass, you are killing their food and leaving no option for them to stay and die out of hunger.
- Plus, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and closed-toe shoes if you have to go there in the tall grass area for any reason. So that those red mites will not be able to ride on your body and bite you later.
- Check your clothes before you enter the house or leave them outside if you fear that you may get a few chiggers on the clothes.
Look, do not fear them that much as the brands are trying to inject it into your mind. It is very rare to get bitten by chiggers and if you do, then you can take action to get relief from the pain using ice.
It is not a huge deal as these bites do not necessarily affect you in the long term. You can say they are like bee or wasp stings that hurt but do not leave any future complications. So fear not, just a few precautions will be enough. Okay!
How to Chigger Bites on the Skin (Natural and Chemical)
As I have said chigger bites are extremely itching and irritating but fortunately there are many ways you can get a quick relief. Here are the best ones.
- The ice, as I have talked about it already. Apply it directly on the skin. Some people say to use them in plastic bags like the ice bag. But I saw the effect is better if you use them directly on your skin. Try it.
- You can also use aloe vera gel to cool the skin area if you have it in the house.
- Apply apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, or any essential oils to your skin to get relief.
- Baking soda may also help if you mix it with water and apply it to your skin.
- Apply any antiseptic create you have in your house to get relief.
- You can use toothpaste as it can cool down the skin area and maybe get you relief.
I used the toothpaste when mistakenly burned my skin when cooking, and it worked marvelously. But do not wash it soon. Let it be there for at least 30 minutes to have the best effect. I have never tested them on chiggers, know that.
One Last Tip
Here are a few more tips that can help you better.
- If the itching persists and no other ideas work for you then it is time to talk to a professional. Maybe your body is acting differently. So do not wait and call your doctor.
- Make sure you use a pesticide spray in the yard after cutting the grass so that those red mites die and do not reproduce.
- Check your yard weekly for any infestation and spray the pesticide once a week for a few weeks to kill them all.
I hope you are free of those painful bites. But it will depend on how well you follow the above steps.
Get one of these chigger killers.
- Permethrin Chigger Repellent on Clothes (Best Overall)
- Quick Relief Ointment for Chigger Bites (Most Affordable)
- Chigger Killer Spray for Yard (Premium Quality)
So this is how to get rid of chiggers and the bites. Please do not fear them as those brands are trying to imply. They like bees or getting bitten by a few mosquitoes, nothing else.
Use ice, essential oil, or toothpaste to get quick relief. Good luck.
Pin it/ Save it for later
Follow Me on PINTEREST for More Ideas.